Sunday, October 13, 2013

Sunday - Change of Plans

I took a cab to the church and was shown to a seat in the front, right behind the elders. Again there was a choir of about 100 and a sixteen piece instrumental section: eleven strings, two brass, two woodwinds, and a drum (janggu, nice touch in the midst of a very western setting). The sermon was long and there were several references to Geoffrey's wedding and to his parents. He said I spoke Korean very well to which I vigorously shook my head 'no.' He also said I spoke better than Geoffrey which made me feel bad to have us compared.
 
Yeji was very sick and had thrown up on the way to the church so Geoffrey stayed with Her at lunch while the parents ate at our own table in the basement (or ground floor as there was a door to the outside). Yeji's father drove me back to the city hall circle and I walked back to the hotel from there. I was waylaid by two Jehovah's Witnesses and we chatted. When they came up to me I asked if they were JWs and they asked how I knew and I said by the smell. One pulled up his shirt to smelled it and I laughed. I explained it was their appearance and each carrying a briefcase and that they travel in twos. It was either that or Mormon and Geoffrey told me the JWs were active in Changwon.
 
Geoffrey called later and asked me over for dinner. Yeji's mother had made food for us. Yeji is still sick and Geoffrey said she insists on going to Seoul to get papers translated to take to the Embassy Tuesday. I told his I want to go with her. If she is sick she should not travel alone. I'll have to get up by 4:00 AM and Geoffrey is to talk to Yeji and let me know. He called after I got back to my room and said she would go alone. I said I didn't want to force myself on her and that is OK, but I worry.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment