Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Wednesday the 9th: (Kimchee for breakfast! This must be Korea :-) Today (Wednesday, not the time stamp provided by Blogger which goes by my computer clock still set on North American eastern time) is a holiday in Korea, in commemoration  of Sejong the Great (see http://asiasociety.org/countries/traditions/king-sejong-great).

The storm seems to have passed us by. I woke up at about 1:30 and it was quiet and there was no rain. I at first thought we were in the eye of the storm but at 4:30 it was still quiet. I got up at 5:00. At 6:30 I took my blood sugar and it was 140; high for fasting but not worrisome.

I went over to the Hotel International for the breakfast buffet which Geoffrey suggested. It was expensive but good. A cook prepared eggs to order and I had the recommended kimchee and cheese omelet. Another table had breakfast meats and Korean dishes . I had a little of each of the kimchee, smoked salmon, bacon, sausage, chicken wings, and duck. I also had some bread to buffer the kimchee. I went back for more kimchee and salmon later. As I was eating Duke came through and stoped to chat, then went to the next room to sit with his crew. When I left the hotel a self professed Scot sitting at a sidewalk table drinking beer in front of a "CV" (convenience store) invited me over and we chatted for a while. He wass drinking beer and I'm not sure if he was just getting in or was out early. The guy next to him was asleep, head on table, so I suspect the former. 

I went back to the room and read the "paper." Later I went over to Paris Baguette for lunch, then came back again for a long nap. Geoffrey was to pick me up later in the afternoon but got quite busy preparing for the formal "meeting of the parents" at his apartment and I had told him it would be fine for me to take a taxi, and sure enough that is what I did.

I was still a little early and after chatting a bit stood on the balcony with Geoffrey as he cooked meat, fish and chestnuts. When Yeji's family arrived we went in and talked and looked at the pictures of Geoffrey I had brought and some of hers for the wedding and a book of some of her and her teacher and students. We then exchanged gifts. There was even something for Pat. On the way out I said good-by at the top of the steps and when the others were gone Yeji went down last and almost at the bottom of the first flight turned and asked "Dad, is it alright if next time I hug you? It is not the Korean way." I said "That would be wonderful" then paused and told her in Korean to go on down and started down the steps myself. At the bottom I gave her a hug. She seemed pleased, and Geoffrey confirmed that later. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment